Halesworth and District Time Line

Please email us events that you think should be on this Time Line.

Date Date Event Notes
1854 Hadiscoe to Halesworth Railway Opened
Aug 1879 Southwold Railway opened
1880 Moving Platforms installed
1887 Halesworth Corps of the Salvation Army opened
1893 Fred Johnson, photographer, leaves Halesworth
1899 Crescent House burnt down
24 Feb 1900 Ives' Boot Factory burnt down
1916 1st Halesworth Scouts founded
1922 Moving Platform restored by Bolton Paul
1929 Southwold Railway closed
5 May 1935 Silver Jubilee celebrations for King George V
12 May 1937 Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth
1941 Halesworth Railway Station bombed
1958 New road bridge opened and Moving Platforms redundant
19 March 1962 The Southwold Railway bridge across Holton Road is taken down.
18 June 1963 Halesworth Corps of the Salvation Army closes
1983 Halesworth Town Football Club tops Division 1 of the Suffolk and Ipswich League
1985 Museum opened in the armshouses in Steeple End
1986 Halesworth Signal Box moved to the Middle School
1986 Kuk Sool Dojang (a complete system of martial art training) opened on Dairy Hill, the first in the country
1987 Halesworth Town Football Club celebrated its centenary
1988 Work on the Relief Road started
1989 Ives, shoe shop closed down after at least 100 years
1989 Saxons Way opened
1989 Patrick Stead Maternity Hospital closes (est. 1936)
1990 Prime and Cowles Garage closed in the Market Place
1990 Archaeological excavation at Barclays Bank
1991 Thoroughfare pedestrianised
1991 Halesworth Golf Club opened
1992 Opening of the New Reach
1993 Thoroughfare flooded
1993 Post Office moved from Norwich Road to Coopers
1994 Co-op opened on present site
1996 Steeple End Bus Terminal closes
1996 Library moved to new building from Arms Houses
1996 Cutlers Hill Surgery moved to present location
1996 Oriental Public House in Quay Street closed
1997 Holton Airfield Museum opened
1997 Halesworth and Blyth Valley Partnership started
1998 Brewery Site, off the Market Place, cleared for housing
1998 Pime and Cowles garage, in the Market Place, demolished
1999 Moving Platform restored
2000 Millennium Green opened (the largest in the country)
2000 Museum moves to the Railway Station
2000 Millennium oak tree is planted in the Town Park
2001 Halesworth Town Trail is launched.
2003 Church Farm Development
2003 The Cut opened
2003 Halesworth Police Station completely refurbished
2003 Halesworth Business Connections formed.
2006 World Land Trust moved into their offices in Blyth House, Bridge Street
2007 Halesworth Signal Box moved to North Norfolk Railway
2009 Swimming Pool Closed after 27 years
2009 Nollies Pet Shop, in the Market Place, closed
2010 Halesworth Bowles Club produces the National Triples Champions
2011 Wissett Hoard discovered
2012 Micropress moved to Reydon
2012 Wissett Hoard purchased by Museum
2012 Mike King, Halesworth weight lifter, becomes World Champion in his class.
2012 Middle School closed
2013 Ron Stone, Headmaster, Middle School, died
2017 Barrow Crossing gates installed